St Stephen’s Church is at the heart of the village. It is decorated with beautiful carving created as a memorial tho those who gave their lives in WW1.
The church was built in 1837 as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. It fell into disuse by the end of the C19 and in 1910 was acquired by local resident and benefactor, Captain Burmester, to convert into a church for the inhabitants of Shefford Woodlands to save them the walk to and from the parish church in the valley below. It was consecrated for use by the Church of England in 1911 at which time two short transepts and a north porch and entrance were added, the latter replacing the chapel entrance at the west end.