The Castle in Cold Ash A family run pub & restaurant which opened early 2021 and they hope to please all of their guests.
Cold Ash is about 4 miles North -East of Newbury, most of the village is on a ridge of the Berkshire Downs overlooking the Kennet valley to the south and the pang valley to the north.
The adjoining village of Ashmore Green forms part of the Parish and lies at a lower elevation less than a mile to the south-west of Cold Ash.
The Parish also includes the urban fringes of Newbury (Manor Park) and Thatcham (Southend & Florence Gardens).
The Parish enjoys excellent connectivity with Reading, London, Oxford and Southampton via the A4, A34 and M4. The Thatcham train station is also 2 miles away.
From almost everywhere in the Parish there are fine views across open countryside.
There are large areas of woodland which although are in private ownership have Public Rights of Way which allow Parishioners to enjoy them.
The Parish is also served by two Public houses.
The village itself offers a shop/Post Office, two public houses, two primary schools and the highly regarded private school, Downe House.
In the wider vicinity there is an excellent range of independent schools
including Brockhurst and Marlston, Bradfield College, St. Andrews, St. Gabriels, Horris Hill and Elstree.
The nearby market town of Newbury offers a comprehensive range of amenities with a mainline station, theatre, cinema, leisure/fitness centres and shopping facilities.
The M4 (J13) and A34 are 4 miles away and give excellent access to London and the West Country and to the south coast.
There is a direct train service from Newbury (50 minutes) and Thatcham (47 minutes) to London Paddington.
The surrounding countryside also gives plenty of opportunities for exploring this Area of Outstanding Beauty.
AMENITIES AND FACILITIES
Acland Memorial Hall hosts number of community clubs – tennis, cricket, girl guiding, scouts preschool and Little Quavers Music. There is also the horticultural society, brass band, WI, flower arranging, society of theatre goers, volunteer, walkers, heritage and walker’s groups. There are three children’s play areas. The Parish Council has 26 allotments, all of which are on land owned by the Council in trust for the ‘Poor’s Allotment & Recreation Ground Charity’, along with the 3 grazing fields and the recreation ground. The Community Orchard and Wildlife Allotment Garden is approximately 3 hectares in size and is unusual in that, while it accommodates some 28 allotments, these are scattered among a mosaic of meadows and wooded tracts.There is also a village store and post office.
FOOD & DRINK
There is The Spotted Dog and The Castle. The Spotted Dog. The Spotted Dog has a newly enclosed garden and playground, which is safe for children & dogs.
St Mark’s C of E Primary School which encourages a sense of community.
Cold Ash has a recreation ground by the village hall with tennis courts.
St. Marks church is part of the Hermitage Team Ministry which comprises 7 churches to the North – East of Newbury.
Thatcham Medical Practice is the main area for health.
The no 41 bus runs from Newbury through Cold Ash to Theale. Thatcham railway is about two miles away.
Cold Ash Parish Council is the civil council administration serving the Parishioners of Cold Ash Parish. A number of facilities are provided by the council including the Hermitage Road Recreation Ground, Tennis Courts, Children’s Play Areas and Allotments. See the What We Do page for more details of the services provided by the Council.
WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: LOCAL HISTORY
The name Cold Ash dates from the 16th century and is mentioned in a 1549 deed of settlement from John Winchcombe (Jack of Newbury) to his third son, Henry. The area was largely unpopulated before 1800 and consisted of moorland, the oldest part of the village is believed to be Bucklebury Alley. Cold Ash was formerly part of Thatcham- but it became its own parish in 1866.