Beedon parish sits at the western end of the Royal County of West Berkshire, about 6 1/2 miles from Newbury.
It is in beautiful countryside, with rolling hills.
Close to the A34 and links to the M4 for an easy commute to London and Oxford
A quiet village with an active village hall.
The local pub is The Coach - which is currently closed, but planning to reopen.
There is a direct line to London Paddington (fast train to Paddington has an approx. travel time of 41 minutes) from Newbury Station.
There is a primary school in the village and easy access to secondary schools nearby.
- Abingdon School
- St Helen and St Katharine
- Downe House
- Our Lady's Abingdon
- Bradfield College
BEEDON | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: AMENITIES & FACILITIES
There is a Hall that offers cheerleading, bowls, keep fit, mothers and toddlers group, youth club, craft classes, Pilates, table tennis, dance club, occasional whist drive, bingo and quizzes.
The hall and garden is disabled friendly, has a kitchen and a full alcohol licence.
There is an allotment society.
Beedon Village Hall, Beedon Hill, Newbury, Berks. RG20 8SH
BEEDON | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: FOOD & DRINK
The coach is a contemporary run freehouse Pub and Restaurant - currently closed, but with new owners.
BEEDON | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: SPORTS
Indoor bowls and table tennis at the Village Hall.
There is a recreational area in front of the village hall.
BEEDON | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: SCHOOL
Beedon C of E School has 51 children and Villagers who are interested can join the children in a community once a month.
The Women’s Guild also meet there regularly.
BEEDON | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: COMMUNICATION
The local radio station is Radio Kennet.
BEEDON | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES:CHURCH
St. Nicholas Church, Concerts are held at St Nicholas Church, the church is a 12th Century Church, within the East Downland Benefice.
BEEDON | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: HEALTH
The local doctor’s are at The Downland Practice.
BEEDON | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: TRANSPORT
The 6 and the 6A.
There is also a volunteer minibus service.
In return for a donation towards their costs, they can help with transport to hospital, the doctors, opticians, dentist and the shops.
The service is for people of all ages, not just the elderly.
Bookings are taken by telephone, every Monday to Friday, 9.30-11.00am Tel No: 01635 578394.
BEEDON | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: THE PARISH COUNCIL
There is a facebook page.
BEEDON | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: LOCAL HISTORY
In 1806, the Doomsday book Beedon was known as Bedene, a small village or hamlet.
The main landowner was Walter de la Rivière from Abingdon Abbey.
Until the reformation Beedon church, a Grade 1 listed church- built in 1220, was Catholic and all services were held in Latin.
Houses range from the 16th to the 21st century.
There is a Bronze Age Barrow at Stanmore, Romo- British and Iron Age sites and medieval occupation can be seen at Stanmore and Beedon Manor.
Until 1947 the whole village belonged to the Lord Wantage Estate, previously the Reade family of Upton under Wynchwood. Lockinge was one of the most famous estates when it belonged to the late Lord Wantage, who was Lord and Master of 22,000 acres and he ran his farms on model lines.
Mr A. Thomas Lloyd, Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire kept this up until he died in 1944.
In 1947, most of Beedon was sold to the parish of Beedon and most tenants bought their own home. South Stanmore Farm was formerly the Beedon Manor House, a Romo- British site, excavated in the 19th century.
A brick kiln was built in the early 19th century at the top of Beedon Hill and was closed before the beginning of World War II, there is a triangulation point there now. Lord Wantage built the Village Hall in 1924 with bricks from the kiln with the understanding that it could be converted into two cottages if no longer required as a Village Hall.
Blacksmith cottage at Beedon Hill is a 1757 timber-framed cottage, later in the 19th century it became two houses. Water for the cottages came from a well across the road, the blacksmiths was opposite the triangular green and was in business until early 1920.
When the Lockinge Estate was broken up in 1947, the blacksmiths were sold. Water came from wells until the early 1900’s, Weston well is still there, piped water arrived in the 1950’s.
The post office was run by the Goodman family and opened in 1861, it was run by the same family until the late 1970’s.
Ground at World’s End was bought for £35, for a Wesleyan Chapel in 1850 and this was closed in 1978.
It was in poor structural condition; the furniture was sold to local villagers and can still be seen in village homes today.
Purton stores farmhouse was a 1598 oak framed, wattle and daub building, in the 1800’s it was divided into three cottages, a grocery shop in the lower floor of one of the cottages.
A bake house was added and the Pococks ran the store until 2003, it was converted back to one building in the 1960’s.
In 1847, Dame school at Walnut tree cottage was established, probably in the living room.
It was free to village children, with a contribution requested from those that can contribute.
A replacement school was built in 1875, two classrooms heated by a coal fire and a stove respectively, a cloak room, scullery and outside toilets.
This was later demolished and two houses built.
The present school, Beedon C of E controlled school was built in 1964.
Langley Hall was once part of a 17th century farm of about 7 acres, it probably became an in soon after the turnpike road from Newbury to Chilton was constructed in 1776.
In a will dated 1802, William Old maid bequeathed the farm to his niece, Elizabeth Rivers and her husband.
In 1812, Thomas Pocock leased the property known as the New Inn, eventually assigning the lease to E. Haskins in 1829.
A later document shows it was still called the New Inn in 1858, but by 1885 the name had changed to Langley Hall.
The property was acquired by Marlow Brewers, Wethered in 1949.
It was used by the Craven Hunt who used to meet there regularly until just before WW II, it was modernised by Wethered and the name changed to The Countryman, then the Blue Parrot, complete with two parrots inside.
In 1932 when Mr and Mrs Norman Taylor became tenants, it was changed back to Langley Hall.
It is now being converted into a house.
The main road was a turnpike road prior to being the A34, there was a transport cafe and petrol pump.
Beedon bypass was built in 1979, but it is still used as a through road, is busy and raises concerns over speeding.