The church, which is dedicated to St Mary, dates from the mid-12th century and has examples of Norman and Jacobean architecture.
The building has had a number of extensions, particularly in the 13th, 14th, 15th and 17th centuries.
The church tower has a ring of eight bells.[
The church of ST. MARY THE VIRGIN consists of a chancel about 35 ft. 10 in. by 21 ft. 10 in. with a south-east vestry, a nave 50 ft. 2 in. long, which varies in width from 20 ft. 3 in. at the east to 25 ft. 2 in. at the west end, a south chapel about 14 ft. 11 in. by 18 ft. 4 in., and a west tower about 10 ft. 5 in. by 10 ft. 1 in. with a small spire. These measurements are all internal.
The earliest part of the present building is the nave, which was originally both nave and chancel of an early 12th-century church.
About 1210 the chancel was extended eastward, the old chancel being at the same time thrown into the nave, and a transept built on the south side of the original chancel.
In the 14th century the tower was added read more….
You must be logged in to post a comment.