City Arts is a place where people can come together and enjoy Art in a friendly community.
It is designed to be truly inclusive in bringing people together and supporting the creative wellbeing of our community.
It is an independent community art hub in the heart of Newbury was created in 2015 by Claire Struthers-Semple and Isabel Carmona with the aim of providing a friendly and welcoming place to learn, share, teach, collaborate, and exhibit art.
They are proud of their involvement in the community and run seasonal free and low-cost events.
Their flagship Chalkfest event takes place every August –they take over the Market Square in Newbury and enjoy brightening up the pavement!
A competition of the chalk drawings is judged by a local artist with prizes for different age groups.
With their commitment to the community, they have a strong ethos of equality and inclusion.
This is reflected in the work they are involved in and why their fundraising is so important:
- They support vulnerable youths in the community by providing community work for them
- They run low cost and free events like Chalkfest, Applefest, Mandala Day, Graffiti Mural Competition and Wall Hanging Day
- They provide a space for local artists, craftspeople and students to exhibit their work
- They work with people encouraging communication through art and creativity
- They work with and support local independent small businesses
Their Community Hub Cafe is open regularly Fridays and Saturdays from 10am to 4pm, with cakes baked by local bakers alongside great barista coffee and a selection of high-quality teas.