Midgham is a small village of around 350 in the West Berkshire countryside in the Thames Valley of Southern England. It is spread between several centres of population around the Church of St. Matthew’s, the Village Green, New Road Hill and the A4 Bath Road.
A small, scattered village, Midgham extends North from the Kennet & Avon canal across the old water meadows and into rolling farmland and woods.
Away from the Bath Road it is a place of leafy lanes, park land, some old -world cottages, a village green and a fine Victorian church on its hill with views over much of the Kennet Valley.
MIDGHAM | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES | AMMENITIES AND FACILITIES
Midgham Village Hall was established in 1938 to foster and develop community spirit using events both inside and outside the hall. Since then: the Hall facilities have been developed and improved and it continues to host community events.
MIDGHAM | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES | FOOD & DRINK
There are two pubs in Midgham- The Coach and Horses and The Berkshire Arms. The Coach & Horses has a beautiful garden area and offers classic and traditional meals, afternoon teas and a function menu. The Berkshire Arms is a no-nonsense chain pub with a menu of traditional British dishes and a family-friendly vibe.
MIDGHAM | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES | CHURCH
St. Mathews Church is an Anglican Church, it stands on the top of a hill overlooking the Kennet valley.
MIDGHAM | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES | HEALTH
The local surgery is the Bucklebury practice or Chapel Row Surgery
MIDGHAM| WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGERS | SPORTS
There is a cricket club at nearby Sulhampstead.
MIDGHAM | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES | SCHOOL
The nearest schools are Woolhampton C of E School and Bucklebury C of E School.
MIDGHAM | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGERS | TRANSPORT
The nearest bus is the No 1. There is also a train station.
MIDGHAM | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES | PARISH COUNCIL
There is a parish council.
MIDGHAM | WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES | HISTORY
Midgham Village has been established for many hundreds of years. There is even mention of the village in the Domesday Book.
Midgham became a parish in its own right in 1857 and the then new Squire appointed the first Vicar (Rev. John Errington) in 1867 for the newly built church.