ONLINE Teddy Bear Making: Nico the Bear
Tutor: Jacqueline Schultz
Thurs 15th April 2pm - 3:30pm
Thurs 22nd April 2pm - 3:30pm
Thurs 29th April 2pm - 4pm
This three-part LivePlus™ online course is ideal for beginners. If you can thread a needle and sew on a button, you have all the sewing skills you need.
Join Jacqueline from Jacqueline's Bears, and a small group of like-minded crafters, to learn all the techniques required to make this traditional, cotter pin jointed, ratinee mohair teddy bear.The bear you will be building in this beginners course is Nico. Designed to resemble a classic 1920’s style heritage bear, Nico’s forefather is Feliz; the original bear from Jacqueline’s 'Bramble Wood' collection.
When finished, your bear will stand at 22cm tall, with a paunch belly and 8mm glass bead eyes. His clipped upper snout, embroidered nose and mouth give him an appealing, huggable personality. All the facial features are hand embroidered, so each bear is guaranteed to take on it’s own personality. (And of course, you are very welcome to call your bear whatever you want!)
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Cutting and reserving your pattern
- Mohair dynamics, layout for ratinee mohair, and cutting
- Paw and foot pad options, layout, and cutting
- Pinning and stitching
- How to use cotter pin joints
- Stuffing your bear
- Construction, placement and embroidery of facial features
- Inserting glass eyes
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstration – the demo sessions are a time to watch, ask and learn. After each demo you will be sent a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
Jacqueline will be providing kits for this course at a cost of £35 each plus P&P.The kit will contain:
- Ratinee mohair, enough to complete one bear
- A small piece of ultra suede for foot pads & paw pads
- Matching sewing thread
- Black cotton perle
- 1 pair of 8mm black glass eyes
- 5 x cotter pin joints incl. washers
- Plastic pellets for tummy
- Nico - pattern
Details of how to order your kit will be provided after booking.
- Polyfibre filling
- Paper glue
- Old cereal box
- Small sharp pointed scissors (sprung loaded micro tip work best)
- Fine tip marker
- Glass headed pins
- Cotter key or long / narrow nose pliers
- Stuffing tool or chopstick
- Awl or knitting needle
- Doll needles