WSET Level 2 Award in Wine Online – 8 Evenings
The 8 x 2-hour online sessions run from 6.30 – 8.30 pm on Mondays each week, over 8 weeks.
- Monday 31st October, 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th November, 5th, 12th & 19th November.
The deadline for registration is Tuesday 25th October.
If you can’t make all sessions, they are recorded and can be watched back at a time convenient for you.
This beginner to intermediate level qualification course provides a structured exploration of the world of wine and is suitable for both wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts.
Individuals on this course will gain knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world and the styles of wine they produce.
Through a combination of tasting and theory, candidates will explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe wines with confidence.
What the course covers:
- Wine tasting: You will learn how to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT)
- Food and wine pairing: You will learn the principles of food and wine pairing
- Wine service and storage: You will learn the correct way to store and serve wine and how to recognise common faults found in wine
- Labelling: You will learn how to decode and understand wine labels
- Factors influencing the style of wine: You will explore how environmental factors, grape-growing, vineyard, and maturation options influence the style and quality of the wines made all over the world
- Grape varieties: You’ll learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international red and white grape varieties (Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot, and Syrah/Shiraz) as well as the styles of wines made with 22 regionally important grape varieties grown in 70 wine regions (GI’s) around the world
- Sparkling and Fortified wines: You will be taught how grape varieties and winemaking processes influence the style of wines in these two key wine categories
The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification
No prior wine knowledge is required however the course builds upon the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines which may be more suitable for those completely new to wine. We recommend you read the course specification document before you sign up for the course. You can read this document by clicking here.