Bucklebury | West Berkshire Villages
Bucklebury is a village in West Berkshire , the original village is on the banks of the River Pang, with a common to the south of this and a large residential area in Upper Bucklebury. It is well known for it’s Royal connections. Bucklebury has throughout its history been chosen as a peaceful haven to escape from the main clamours of town and city life.
Few people had heard of the small village of Bucklebury in Berkshire until April 2011, when suddenly the news was full of one family from the village - the Middletons. Catherine Middleton had been the longtime girlfriend of Prince William and they were married on April 29, 2011
AMENITIES & FACILITIES
There are two halls within the parish, the Memorial Hall and the Victory Room. The Memorial Hall is located in Upper Bucklebury and has three rooms which can be hired. There is carpet bowls, yoga, pilates, adult ballet classes and sitting exercise organizes on a regular basis and links with a horticultural society and sewing club.There is also Bucklebury Farm and Deer Safari park, which has plenty going on for families. The is also peach’s Stores, L Interiors and post office facilities at All Saints Church.There is a history Group, Mahjong Group, Toddler Group, Ladies Club and West Berkshire Countryside society. St Martin’s Club is for the over 60 residents of Bucklebury.
FOOD & DRINK
The Bladebone was so named in 1666 when a Bladebone of a mammoth was sealed within copper and hung above the door. There is a Blackbird café with homemade treats, savouries, coffees and teas and an Honesty café at Bucklebury farm .
There is a Bucklebury Tennis Club and Bucklebury Wolves Football Club for children aged 5- 13. There is also a Badminton Club, Cricket Club, Bucklebury guides and Bucklebury Walkers.
There is a Bucklebury C of E Primary School in Upper Bucklebury. Bucklebury is a school that believes in the whole child. Our approach to education is rooted in the Christian values of love, faith and hope. We endeavour to know every child, enabling personalised provision that is exceptionally delivered.
Local GP services are provided at the Chapel Row Surgery.
Chapel Row Surgery
Tel: 0118 971 3252 (Main switchboard)
The Oaks is published by Bucklebury Parish Council 3 times a year – February, May and October, and is distributed free to all households in Bucklebury Parish.
The website is Bucklebury Parish Council.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin was built in the 11thcentury. The parishes of Bucklebury with Marlston, Bradfield and Stanford Dingley are a group of rural parishes with six very different church buildings, each with its own congregation and distinct styles of worship, with a collective name of 2bsd and is part of the Oxford Diocese.
Here is a community bus for Bucklebury residents.
Bucklebury Parish Council consists of 11 elected representatives representing the different wards within Bucklebury Parish.
Councillors are elected every 4 years.
The Parish of Bucklebury, comprising of 2200 hectares, lies wholly within the North Wessex Downs’ “Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty”.
The West Berkshire Countryside Group group combines the aims and objectives of the Pang and Kennet Valleys Countryside Projects, the Bucklebury Heathland Conservation Group and the Pang Valley Conservation Volunteers. It has been set up to represent all of the people who care about the countryside throughout West Berkshire.
Bucklebury Common was once an area of extensive heathland with large areas of heather and gorse. It was the home of nightjars, woodlarks and reptiles. When grazing stopped in the 1920’s the Common became overgrown with silver birch and scots pine and the heather and wildlife declined.
The Bucklebury Heathland Conservation Group was originally set up in 1992 to restore part of the Common to heathland and since then we have cleared and maintained about 60 acres in an area east of Upper Bucklebury and south of the Upper Bucklebury to Chapel Row road. As a result, the nightjars and woodlarks have come back and we sometimes see an Adder. The site is owned by the Bucklebury Estate and the conservation work is carried out with their kind permission. We meet on the second Saturday or Sunday of each month between September and March with occasional extra workdays to continue the battle to keep the area open and to expand it if possible.
BUCKLEBURY| WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES | BUCKLEBURY | HISTORY
The earliest recorded reference to Bucklebury relates to the 10th century (956 AD) when King Edwig granted wood from Hawkridge to rebuild Abingdon Abbey. Bucklebury is mentioned in the Domesday Book when it was part of the royal hunting grounds and boasted of two manors. The Romans settled in this area and remains of their dwellings have been found within the Parish.
Bucklebury village church of St Mary the Virgin dates from the 11th century. It was not until the 12th century that it became part of Reading Abbey possessions by means of an exchange of properties with St Alban’s Abbey. Bucklebury provided peace, tranquillity, and a beautiful location for the Abbot to build his house. The fishponds, which were constructed at that time to provide a food source, still exist today.
Following the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII, the manor was sold to the Winchcombe family in 1540.
It and the surrounding hamlets gradually expanded and prospered under the stewardship of this family. By the 19th century villagers had benefited from the freedom of access to the Common only to see this threatened by the Enclosures Act. John Morton, a tenant farmer and local lay preacher, fought and won the battle with parliament to keep the Common protected from ‘Enclosure’ and hence it still remains open today to both Commoners and visitors alike.