Bagnor is a village close to the town of Newbury in the English county of West Berkshire and is situated on the banks of the River Lambourn, a crystal clear chalk stream. It is about 3 ½ miles from Newbury. The Watermill theatre is in the village and Restaurant Renaissant. The Watermill Theatre is a privately owned repertory theatre that has operated since 1981. Renaissant is a restaurant by Dom Robinson on the site of the former Blackbird public house. Chef / owner Dom Robinson has been awarded a Michelin Star when the pub was The Blackbird. There is also Bagnor estate which holds shoots and Bagnor Manor, which is a country home standing near the centre of the village. The house in its current form dates from the 17th century.
WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGERS | AMENITIES AND FACILITIES
Possibly best known for the Watermill Theatre. A converted home that seats 220 people, a producing theatre that works closely with the local community.
WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: FOOD & DRINK
On the site of the former Blackbird public house; Renaissant serves classical French cuisine by Dom Robinson, in a comfortable, refined environment. Food menus will pay hommage to great chefs from the golden era of gastronomy & their drinks selection will be thoughtful, interesting & passionately curated. There is also the pizza paloma.
WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: SCHOOLS
There is no school in the village, but it Is close to Newbury.
WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: SPORTS
Bagnor relies on its proximity to Newbury.
WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: CHURCH
St. Mary’s and St Nicholas’s in Newbury would be the nearest churches.
WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: HEALTH
Strawberry Hill is the main area for health.
WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: TRANSPORT
Transport links are mainly via Newbury
WEST BERKSHIRE VILLAGES: LOCAL HISTORY
Bagnor Manor is a country home standing near the centre of the village. The house in its current form dates from the 17th century. Previously the manor and its estate had been held for the Crown and was recorded in the Domesday Book. Ownership was later transferred to Henry de Bagenore, who sold the property to the Priory and Convent of Ploughly in 1232. The transfer was agreed in return for a yearly payment of 8 marks food and clothing for Henry’s two sons, and an agreement that the Prior would find a suitor for his youngest daughter, Celestria.
The priory was dissolved in c.1524 and its lands seized by Henry VIII. The Manor was granted to Wolsey College (later Christ Church) Oxford in 1531. Bagnor Manor was later transferred to the Dean and Chapter of Wesminster in return for lands in St. James Park. They built the present Grade II listed building in the 17th century, but the estate did not pass into private ownership until 1871, when it was purchased by a wealthy family from Donnington Grove. Until 2007 it was home to the art collector and property developer Baron Palumbo, who installed many artworks in the house and grounds. It is now a private residence.