Aldermaston Church | West Berkshire Villages
| The church in Aldermaston is St. Mary the Virgin, part of the Aldermaston and Woolhampton Benefice.
St Mary the Virgin Church | Aldermaston | West Berkshire Villages
This historic building is a surprise for all who enter for the first time with its fine stained glass, eight bells and ornate wall paintings.
There has been a church in Aldermaston for hundreds of years with this building dating from about 1150.
They attract a wide range of ages across the services and can offer a toy corner for their youngest worshippers.
There is always the opportunity for a drink and a biscuit after the main services when they catch up with each other – you are most welcome to join them!
St Mary’s is not currently open during the day although they are keen to rectify that in the future; they are also looking at ways to improve their facilities for future generations.
St Mary’s is one of six churches in the Benefice of Aldermaston and Woolhampton.
They have especially strong links with their three church schools and are actively involved in the governing bodies.
ALDERMASTON has a history of a medieval nativity play at St Mary the Virgin Church. In 1957 the art teacher Pat Eastop and the Revd Stanley Young decided the village needed a nativity.
Pat directed the play for the next 57 years and all of the performances are dedicated to her.
The play was taken from the 14th Century York Mystery Cycle, one of the earliest transcribed scripts in the English language.
The music is sung a cappella from the ringing chamber of the church.
On performance nights the players emerge from their dressing room (the village hall), to a street with windows lit up to acknowledge the play.
The stage management team prepare the church, with teams looking after wardrobe, lighting and administration.
The whole village community makes a huge contribution to the historic play and its success.